Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Texas New Fingerprinting Law

Should teachers, janitors, cafeteria workers and other school support employees be fingerprinted? Texas seems to think so considering they made it a mandatory fingerprinting law. They believe it will make schools safer and I agree. I would have much more peace of mind knowing that my children were in a criminal free environment. Teachers have argued that the new law is an invasion of privacy. I believe that if you have nothing to hide than it should not be a problem. I do not have children of my own, but I could not stand the thought of my nieces being surrounded from day to day by someone with violence issues. This law will not prevent anything bad from ever happening again, but it will cut back on opportunities for bad things to happen. I belive this article is important to most people, because the majority of the population reproduces and will send their children to school if their children are not already in school.

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/01/17/0117fingerprinting.html

1 comment:

Gritsforbreakfast said...

First, welcome to the blogosphere. I think these student blogs are a really neat project, and encourage you to embrace the idea beyond the class requirements.

As for the post, though, just curious, how long ago were you in grade school? Maybe things have changed, but when I was there it was the other children who were the main (and nearly constant) source of violence, and nobody was fingerprinting the cafeteria workers.

Forbidding past offenders from getting jobs makes it more likely they return to a life of crime and never turn their life around. If an ex-felon can't even serve food in the local ISD cafeteria or mop the floors of the middle school, what do you think they'll do instead for grocery money: Sell drugs or victimize law abiding people. Those are basically the only options that result from such a stance, and I don't personally prefer either one of them. best,